Fear is an involuntary response to physical and emotional danger. If we didn’t feel it, we wouldn’t be able to protect ourselves from legitimate threats. But often times we fear things that are far from “threatening”, mostly from past experiences, cultural norms, what we were taught and how we were raised. A benign fear, like a fear of spiders or a fear of roller-coasters might not affect your life very much, but a fear of failure, fear of what people think or fear of the unknown can really hold you back and can prevent you from achieving your goals and dreams.
The good news is that yoga can help! Yoga can help us pinpoint our fears so we are aware of them. Once we are aware of our fears and start to work on them, our body starts to release some of that fear and we can move forward in a new pattern.
This week’s featured classes will help you overcome your fears and find your strength to navigate any obstacle, on the mat and off.
- You Are a Pilar of Strength with Kathryn Budig: Open a can of whoop-ass-ana! This class pushes to your edge to remind you that you ARE a pillar of strength. Major upper body strengthening focusing on chaturanga work, side plank and inversions. Sprinkled with plenty of core.
- Fearlessness Meditation with Harshada Wagner: Fearlessness Meditaiton. This meditation focuses on clearing the energy of fear from the subtle body and cultivating the attitude of deep fearlessness.
- Steadiness & Perspective with Darren Rhodes: Perspective is a precious resource that is often lacking in the midst of life’s unexpected twists and turns. This class requires and therefore offers steadiness and strength.
- Dropping Into the Unknown with Tara Judelle: This class focuses on moving into dropbacks, moving from the bones and the organs in order to learn new cues to move you into the unknown. Includes, Ustrasana, Udhva Danurasana, and Dropbacks.
- Overcome Obstacles with Steven Espinosa: This 45 minute Level 1/2 class begins with a vigorous opening warm up which prepares us for a continuous Standing Pose Flow, Standing Hip Openers and multiple Seated Poses. Ends with brief Savasana. The emphasis of this class is learning how to overcome obstacles on our mat to help us overcome them off the mat, too!
- Turn Your Fear into Stability with Elena Brower: With this practice we transmute any “heavy” energy – sadness, grief or fear – into grounding stability. Through this sweet flow sequence, with interesting use of the back foot leading into anjaneyasana, even forearm stand, we will address the musculature of your legs and groundedness of your feet in order to transmute what’s weighing us down energetically into a strong and steady foundational energy.